Friday, June 11, 2010

Posterized: Big Willie Style

Is there a true movie superstar we've discussed less than Will Smith? I was thinking about him last night since he's foisting his son upon the world again this weekend in The Karate Kid (2010 version).

<-- Smith with both Karate Kids. But, heyyy, where's Hilary Swank?

Some celebrities hide their kids away but Smith has seemingly always been okay with dragging his kids to public things like awards show and even awards show podiums. What would that do to you to regularly experience thunderous applause and flashing paparazzi bulbs as a toddler?

I haven't seen The Karate Kid yet because the original is like a sacred part of any 80s childhood/adolescence and the switch in venues will surely bring one of my least favorite things to the surface: That arrogant childish American notion that we are always better at everything than people anywhere else are, even if it's something we've never done before or are statistically comparatively inept at (like eduction and healthcare but we still scream "#1!" to our own detriment. It sure makes improving difficult when you always know you're the best). WHOA. Off Topic. Sorry, you know how pet peeves can get to you. My point is this: I'm assuming little Jaden gets better at martial arts -- within about a month -- than the Asian bullies you see in the trailer who've presumably been studying it their whole lives. I'm guessing.

The Will Smiths: How many have you seen?

Where the Day... (92) | Made in America (92) | 6 Degrees of Separation (93)

Bad Boys (95) | Independence Day (96) | Men in Black (97)

Enemy of State (98)| Wild Wild West (99) | Legend of Bagger Vance (00)

Ali (01) | MIIB (02) | Bad Boys II (03)

I, Robot (04) | Hitch (05) | The Pursuit of Happyness (06)

I am Legend (07) | Hancock (08) | Seven Pounds (08)

He's only starred in 18 movies. (I thought it'd be more... but I've only seen 11.) Strangely he was absent from cinemas last year and will be again this year. What's going on? Don't tell me he's veering towards Tom Cruise's unmistakable crazy. I suppose that could happen. In regards to these posters. I was surprised the marketing departments don't use the dread "floating movie star head" that often with his movies. His body shows up frequently, too.

You have to admire his (contractual?) consistency. Almost exactly one picture a year. It splits the difference between "out of sight, out of mind" and "absence makes the heart grow fonder".

I actually think he's sometimes quite a good actor or at least far better than is required of someone in his position (see: I Am Legend) and I don't really understand the anger some people had about his Ali nomination (though that was certainly a competitive year with lots of good choices snubbed). But overall he tends to make the kind of corporate blockbusters that never excite me -- too processed.

Anyway, a truth: my parents love him. Do you?
*

No comments:

Post a Comment