Monday, August 2, 2010

Guess Where I'm Going? Brrrr

My best friend has always wanted to go to Iceland so this year we finally bought tickets. Can't wait to experience The Blue Lagoon and see the Northern Lights (again... they're so amazing). I'll be curating a mini Icelandic film festival before we go. We're going off season because we both love winter (our other friends just have to deal) and it's cheaper!


Though I've seen plentiful Scandinavian films, I think I've only seen two from Iceland: Blóðbönd (Thicker than Water) and Hafið (The Sea) both of which were rather intense family dramas and quite good ones at that. If you've seen any Icelandic films, do share in the comments. I've always wanted to see 101 Reykjavik (on account of my Victoria Abril love) but for reasons I can't fathom I've never rented it. That'll be the first selection in the mini-fest.

Iceland's only been nominated at the Oscars once, for Börn náttúrunnar (Children of Nature) by Friðrik Þór Friðriksson, arguably their best known filmmaker. Or he was until Baltasar Kormákur showed up. Baltasar, who also acts, is the current man getting international attention, English language remakes and the one Iceland keeps submitting for Oscar consideration.

Wonder what they'll submit this year? Both of those directors have new films but Baltasar's latest Inhale is in English with an international cast (Diane Kruger, Dermot Mulroney, Vincent Perez, Sam Shepard, etcetera) and thus ineligible. Friðriksson, on the other hand, made an Icelandic autobiographical mother/son alzheimer's film called Mamma Gógó. And, get this, it directly involves and references his Oscar success Children of Nature and subsequent financial struggles as his mother begins to fall apart. Here's the trailer (via Twitch)



*
To read more about possible Oscar action in the upcoming foreign language film category, chase these links: Albania to France | Georgia to the Netherlands | Norway to Vietnam

*

No comments:

Post a Comment